Friday, January 25, 2013

Ramblings on Home school vs Public School

With all the recent school shootings, John and I have often asked ourselves what we think the right decision for Rylan will be when he gets to the schooling age; Home school or Public school. He and I were both home schooled and went to public school, so we got "the best of both worlds" so to speak.

I remember loving and hating home school. I remember loving and hating public school. School is school and at one point and time in your life, you're going to hate it. Even if it is just one day, you will feel the wrath of ten home work assignments and a six page report over some random disease looming over you and you will hate school.

It brings me to the question, which I have already stated, what will be the best choice for Rylan? Should we home school him or send him to a public/private school? I guess one of the few reasons of why I wouldn't want him going to a public/private school is just with all the recent shootings. I admit, I am fearful. Everyone always says, "Oh, that won't happen here." But what if it does? What if I send him to a private school that bases their teachings off of Christianity?  Maybe someone against Christianity will come in and start taking their anger out on my child and his fellow class mates. On the other hand, what if someone breaks into my house while I am teaching my son and shoots us for our TV? I'm being serious. Shootings happen everywhere. It is probably more likely that I will get shot in my own home than my son will at school - but just the thought makes me shake. Can I protect my child more if he is home schooled? Most likely. But am I going to make Rylan wear a suit of armor every time he walks out the door for his protection? No.

Home schooling was, at times, a blast. I went to home school groups and still got to be in band/orchestra, I learned how to ball room dance, I got to go to art classes... on those days, it was a blast! But at home, I basically had to teach myself. I remember waking up and having my assignments written out for me and I wouldn't even see my ex step mom until after lunch. I felt so lonely on the days I didn't go to Praise or Excelsior!. That being said, I feel like I would be a better teacher. Rephrase that. I hope I would be a better teacher. (I feel like my knowledge in the math and science department is lacking.)

Public school was, at times, horrific. Other times, it was the bomb diggity. The reason why I was home schooled in 7th and 8th grade was because I came home crying on a daily basis in 6th grade. I was teased about my height or my hair or this and that. The deal breaker was when someone made fun of my birth mom for only having one arm and asked me if my arm was going to fall off one day. Kids can be cruel. Another positive for home schooling. You don't have the teasing! On the other hand, you don't have the interaction of being around people on a daily basis. Home schooling can kind of shelter children from all the hate, but it can also shelter them from learning how to react in hateful situations or just learning how to deal with life in general. I know the transfer from home school to public school my freshman year was a huge change. I had to get back into the swing of going to classes and doing homework and interacting with other students and teachers. I had more opportunities to get into musical things that I liked, such as school plays and marching band. I have always been a people person and I think public school really enhanced that.

I guess there are positives to negatives to each. It will be a big decision when that time comes.
As for now, I am going to hold my baby every second I can get and not think about the horrible acts of ugly that are going on in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment