Friday, January 18, 2013

The big day- when you realize this wont last forever

Today was the day. January 18, 2013- John Rylan sat up by himself.


He has sat up by himself before for a few second, or even a few minutes. But today.. today he was a big boy.I sat him down gently on the carpet and sat behind him like I usually do to steady him if he tipped over. A couple of minutes went by and his butt seemed to be glued to the ground. I stood up and grabbed my camera and took a few shots. A few minutes later, he was still there, unmoved. I took a few more pictures and watched the clock as time past. Ten minutes passed and I was almost in tears. I sat on the couch (right next to where he was sitting) and watched him play with some toys. Fifteen minutes passed. I snapped some more candid shots. I then did an experiment. He could see me the whole time and I know he knew if he started to fall, I would catch him. So, I stood up, and pretended like I walked out of the room. I stood behind him a few feet and watched his reaction. He looked around to see if I was still there. When he could not find me, he sat silent for a while, once again not moving. A few minutes passed and all of the sudden I heard a loud screech and a giggle. He started slightly bouncing on his bum and playing with his toys in front of him. He was so excited to be sitting up by himself with, what seemed like, no supervision.


Today was a day I will never forget. A milestone for my little man. He sat up by himself for a good twenty to thirty minutes. He would have done it longer, but I had to pee and didn't want to leave him in the living room sitting up with no supervision. I think today was a day that he found out something too- he can do things without mommy. When he sat there for a few minutes, looking around to see where I had gone, he looked as though he was processing that mommy was not there. What should he do? How should he react? After moments passed, he realized, too, that he was a big boy.  He will not remember the first moment that he didn't need mommy anymore, but I sure will.


My baby boy is growing up so quickly in front of my eyes. I was looking through pictures of when he was born and it was crazy how much he has already changed and grown. He looks so much older than he did three months ago. And those three months seemed like three days. I am excited to see what the next few months will bring, but I hope that they don't fly by as fast. I know that I will miss these days. I already do.



No comments:

Post a Comment