Friday, August 3, 2012

Money: Food for thought

Being a wife and a mother is a lot more difficult than you imagine as a child.
I mean, being young, you think of all the wonderful things that you can be when you grow up and how you will give your child "every opportunity" with the lump sum of money you magically acquired and somehow time and a career just don't fit into your thought concept. I remember growing up thinking that I would live in a big house with a husband that goes to work in a suit everyday and 3+ children and I would be a stay at home mom with a pet dog as a best friend. But growing up, you don't see that there are electric bills and water bills and house payments and then the basic cost of living like buying food. Then there are doctor bills and vet bills and all the random things you just don't think of as a kid. Not to mention schooling and soccer teams and all that jazz. I mean, what kid thinks, "Oh, I understand why mommy and daddy have no money for me to go out and do the things I want to do. That's okay though, because they are keeping a roof over my head and giving me food."
I guess I am stuck on a "I have no money and I feel like a sucky parent because of it" stage. When I walk into stores I think, "Wow, I wish I could buy that for Rylan, but we really need diapers instead." Then when I get to the diaper section, I can't buy the huggies or the luvs, I have to buy the store brand, which isn't a bad thing! It just makes you feel like you cant give your child "the best" sometimes.
As a kid, I never really thought of why we didn't get fruit snacks or the name brand cereal, I just thought we just didn't get them. When I got older I knew it was because we didn't have the money for it and I thought my parents were so ignorant for not going out and getting better paying jobs so I could get what I wanted. I saw all my friends getting to go to build a bear or out shopping for a new bathing suit, why can'y my mom give me money so I can be "cool" too? Selfish, yes, I know. But what kid, at one point in their life, doesn't think, "I want that." and when they can't get it do they say, "Oh, thats fine. I know that we need that money for the water bill so I can shower and not smell like a monkey." No! They throw a hissy fit and stomp their feet and pout and make a scene because they couldn't get what they wanted. Looking back, I am thankful for not being able to get the things I wanted just handed to me. It taught me that if I really wanted something, I would have to work for it. Did I like that concept then? Ha, you're funny. But, it taught me a valuable lesson in life.
I guess the point of this is when is it spoiling your children? Is spoiling them and giving them what their hearts desire necessarily a bad thing? I mean, if you could give your child "every opportunity", wouldn't you want too? I see "every opportunity" as credit cards and debt right now. We have no money for traveling soccer teams or piano lessons or whatever Rylan decides to do and unless something drastically changes within the years to come, we won't have that money to give him what he wants. But is that such a bad thing? Food for thought I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment