Tuesday, July 17, 2012

That small town

My sister decided to come for a quick visit last night to meet her new nephew. As she was here, she ran into town to buy me some snacks. (How sweet, right?) When she came back she was talking about the "small town". Basically, our town consists of a dollar general, a library, a bank, and a few family owned store (a bar, a pizza place, and a floral shop) Then we have the two rival gas stations. One is "stop 'n go" but everyone calls it "steal 'n stop" because kids used to steal from it all the time. The other is "Pats Place" which is owned by my husbands relatives. If you go in one, you basically pledge your loyalty to it and if you go in the other then come back to the original one you went to, you will no longer get the "friendly smile service" from them because you have "betrayed" them. in my eyes, its quite funny.
I was thinking about raising my son in a small town where everyone knows everyone and and everyone's business. I like the quiet neighborhoods and the nice people. The down side is there isn't really anything to do. You have to travel to a neighboring town to go see a movie, go bowling, etc etc and the neighboring town could be as far as 45 minutes away. It's funny when people in town call Evansville "the big city" when Evansville really isn't that big at all. Compared to Owensville though, its monstrous. I think it will be nice though. Seeing how you have to travel to go and "do something" it will enforce a lot of family time. We could do things like go on bike trails or take long walks or go fishing, stuff like that. Then again, those things will get repetitive and I'm sure my son will want to venture out of the small town feel eventually.
On a side note, there is such a joy that I get when I see John holding Rylan. It's so good to see him as a daddy. He is going through a rough patch right now, but when he looks down at Ry, you can tell that all of his worries and pain slips away for a split second and he is happy. I love my boys with all my heart. They are my life. I dont know what I would do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment